How to lose weight for good according to Dr. Lisa Lynn Sowder’s weight loss patients.
I am a bit of an expert on weight loss, not because I have ever had major weight loss, but because I know so many patients who have and have been able to maintain their weight loss. These are patients who come to me for body contouring procedures such as abdominoplasty, breast lift, upper arm lift, thigh lift, flank lift, lower body lift and so forth.
I always ask them how they managed to finally lose the weight and keep it off. I ask them to go into some detail. This is not because because I want to write the next “diet bestseller” and buy a small island in Greece (although that would be nice) but because I want to pass on their secrets of success to other patients who struggle.
About 40% of my weight loss patients have undergone weight loss surgery. That’s another blog. The other 60% have done it through life style changes. Here is what that 60% have told me:
- Without exception, they have all sworn off sweets and refined carbohydrates.
- Many have embraced a very low carb diet – think Adkins diet.
- Almost all have maintained regular aerobic exercise – walking and biking are the most popular with my patients.
- Many of my patients have been helped with support groups such as Overeaters Anonymous, TOPS, and Weight Watchers.
- A few of my patients have been helped with nutritional guidance from a physician or nutritionist.
- I cannot remember a patient who mentioned a prepackaged food or liquid diet system.
And here are a few patients I will never forget:
- One gentleman lost 60 pounds when he quit drinking with the help of Alcoholics Anonymous.
- One lady was able to stay 180 pounds overweight despite her gastric bypass through continuous and careful overeating. She finally dropped her weight 150 pounds when she addressed her emotional issues with a psychologist and the help of Overeaters Anonymous.
- One lady lost over 100 pounds by jogging. She started really, really slow and got faster and faster as she lost weight. She became addicted to a runners high which I guess is better than most addictions.
- Several of my patients were able to slim down only after leaving a dysfunctional relationship.
- One teenager lost 40 pounds just by giving up soda.
- One lady in her 60’s lost 100 pounds after having bilateral knee replacements. She had been very, very sendentary and once pain free, became more active.
So there you have it folks; Dr. Sowder’s Guide to Slow, Deliberate, Difficult, Soul Searching, Sweating, Hungry but Long Term Weight Loss. Just think, I could have written that best seller and here I am just giving it away.
Thanks for reading. Dr. Lisa Lynn Sowder